Friday, August 24, 2012

A STORY OF KINDNESS FOR YOUR WEEKEND

A STORY OF KINDNESS FOR YOUR WEEKEND

 
 
    VI:All of us regardless of religious belief are touched by this
act of kindness.
----------------------------

I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently
completed my college degree. The last class I had to take was
Sociology. The teacher was absolutely inspiring with the
qualities that I wish every human being had been graced with. Her
last project of the term was called "Smile."

The  class was asked to go out and smile at three people and
document their reactions.  I am a very friendly person and always
smile at everyone and say  hello anyway.....so, I thought, this
would be a piece of cake, literally.

Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son,
and I went out to McDonald's, one crisp March morning. It was
just our way of sharing special play time with our son.

We were standing in line, waiting to  be served, when all of a
sudden everyone around us began  to back away, and  then even my
husband did.  I did not move an inch...an overwhelming feeling
of panic welled up inside of me as I  turned to see why they had
moved. As I  turned around I smelled a horrible "dirty body"
smell... and there standing behind me were two poor homeless men.

As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was
"smiling".

His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he
searched for acceptance.

He said, "Good day" as he counted the few coins he had been
clutching. The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood
behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally
deficient and the blue eyed gentle man was his salvation.

I held my....as I stood there with them.  The young lady at the
counter asked him what they wanted.  He said,"Coffee is all Miss"
because that  was all they could afford to sit in the restaurant
and  warm up, they had to buy  something...he just wanted to be
warm. Then I  really felt it...the  compulsion as so great I
almost reached out and  embraced the little man with  the blue
eyes.

That is when I noticed all  eyes in the restaurant were set on
me...judging my every action.  I smiled and asked the young lady
behind the  counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a
separate tray.  I then walked around the corner to the table that
the men had chosen as a resting spot.  I put the tray on the
table and laid my hand on the blue eyed gentleman's cold hand. He
looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said,  "Thank you."

I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, "I did not do
this for you... God is here working through me to give you hope."
I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son.

When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, "That is why
God gave you to me, Honey....to give me hope."  We held hands for
a moment and at that time we knew that only because of the Grace
that we had been given were we able to give.

We  are not church goers but we are believers. That day showed me
the pure Light  of God's sweet love.

I returned to college, on the last evening of class,  with this
story in hand.  I turned in "my project" and the instructor read
it....then she looked up at me and said, "Can I share this?" I
slowly nodded as she got the attention of the class.  She began
to read and that  is when I knew that  we, as human beings and
being part of God, share this need to heal people and be healed.
In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my husband,
son, instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the
last night I spent as a college student.

I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever
learn..UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.

Much love and compassion is sent  to each and every person who
may read this and learn how to LOVE PEOPLE AND USE  THINGS - NOT
LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.  If you think this story has touched
you in any way, please send this to everyone you know.

May God bless you.

Something to be thankful for:

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings,
thank you, Lord, that I can hear.
There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as
long as possible,
thank you, Lord, that I can see.
Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising,
thank you Lord, that I have the strength to rise.
There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are
lost, toast is burned and tempers are short, my children are so
loud,
thank you, Lord, for my family.
There are many who are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like the pictures in
magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced,
thank you, Lord, for the food we have.
There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job is often monotonous,
thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work.
There are many who are jobless.

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my
circumstances were not so modest,
thank you, Lord, for life.

Pass it on.....
author unknown

---------------
Vietnam Insight (vinsight@best.com)
URL:  http://www.vinsight.org/

No comments: